Helping associations achieve success in developing non-dues revenue from advertising sales, exhibit sales, corporate memberships, and web-based solutions.
10 Tips for Advertising Success
Following are some tips, picked up over the years of successfully selling advertising to small and large companies and their advertising agencies:
1. Know the product or service the prospect sells before calling. Understand how that product or service is purchased and used by your reader and how much it costs.
2. Price your advertising appropriately so that it is worth the time of an ad agency to process an order for your publication.
3. Know as much as you can about the demographics and buying power of your readership. Support this knowledge with strong documentation.
4. Be familiar with your competition but do not compare yourself to them in your presentations. Also, know your prospects buying history with your competitors.
5.Become an expert on using social media to develop and maintain relationships with advertisers, exhibitors, and prospects.
6. Develop a strong editorial calendar and sell against it.
7. Use creative promotional pieces to qualify prospects, to keep your publication’s name visible and to highlight special issues. 8. Your publication cannot be all things to all readers. Emphasize its place in the vertical market which you serve. Offer integrated solutions which include all of your media offerings. 9. Expand your prospect list, manage it properly, and keep it up-do-date.
10. Use advertising sales professionals and reward them for their success. Give them the tools they need to be successful.